Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Letter Of An American Soldier To His Parents ( During Vietnam War)


Dear Mom and Dad:

Today we went on a mission and I am not very proud of myself, my friends, or my country. We burned every hut in sight!

It was a small rural network of villages and the people were incredibly poor. My unit burned and plundered their meager possessions. Let me try to explain the situation to you.

The huts here are thatched palm leaves. Each one has a dried mud bunker inside. These bunkers are to protect the families. Kind of like air raid shelters.

My unit commanders, however, chose to think that these bunkers are offensive. So every hut we find that has a bunker we are ordered to burn to the ground.

When the ten helicopters landed this morning, in the midst of these huts, and six men jumped out of each ‘chopper’, we were firing the moment we hit the ground. We fired into all the huts we could…

It is then that we burned these huts…Everyone is crying, begging and praying that we don’t separate them and take their husbands and fathers, sons, and grandfathers. The women wail and moan.

Then they watch in terror as we burn their homes, personal possessions and food. Yes, we burn all rice and shoot all livestock.

No comments:

Post a Comment